Wednesday, July 14, 2010

She Dresses Like A Super Hero With No Budget

No adventures in bicycling today.  I had a medical appointment 15 miles across the valley, and I wasn't up for biking the almost 30 mile round trip.  Plus, I am less than fast on my bike - we are both built for comfort, not speed - and it would have taken me all day to ride there and back.  So I scooted instead.

I ride my scooter in the far right lane, referred to by police officers as the number one lane, but known colloquially as  the "slow lane."  I prefer scooting in this lane because I ride at the speed limit and vehicles in the other lanes are inevitably going faster than that.  The problem with the this lane is that it is fraught with obstacles:  animals entering the road, general road debris, vehicles creeping along looking for unfamiliar addresses, vehicles stopped to load or unload passengers, sprinklers overshooting the lawn into the roadway
 . . . . 

As I scoot along, moving around obstacles or sometimes switching lanes to avoid them, I find myself feeling like I am my Avatar, JRo, in Mario  Kart. 


Objects in the roadway become the dreaded turtle shells.   Animals entering my view become the interminable owls.  Other vehicles are now perceived as competitors.  I scan the road for speedy mushrooms or mystery boxes to help me to victory.  And of course, in both worlds, I avoid thunderstorms. 

All of this is just a figment of my imagination you say?  S'Okay.  Figment and I are old friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment