Thursday, July 1, 2010

Judge Dread and the Roller Derby

After seeing Drew Barrymore's directorial debut, Whip It, I added professional roller derby to my bucket list. You know, that list of things you want to do before you die. The dream is renewed every time my local roller derby teams laps my dog and me at the park as we plod along on our arthritic joints and they fly by on their skates. I assumed they were the roller derby team based on stereotypes. They all wear tank tops with names like "Stiletto Stealth" on the back, most sport tattoos, the style of their skates, etc. Also, I've seen some of the ladies getting out of a car with a "roller derby girl" sticker. (Clearly law school was worth the time and money as it has instilled in me amazing powers of deductive and inductive reasoning.)

In order to make my dream a reality, I mapped out what I would need to do to accomplish this goal. The list is quite small: Get new knees, lose more weight, learn to skate, get an awesome roller derby name, make the team . . . . So far I have achieved one of the necessary steps: awesome roller derby name . . . JUDGE DREAD! I'm working on the new knees and the losing of the weight. So really I just need to then learn to skate and make the team. My goal is practically realized!

No comments:

Post a Comment