Sunday, June 12, 2011

I'll Take The Lot And Treat Them Just The Same

I've had conflicting emotions as we've begun the countdown to the last Harry Potter movie, Deathly Hallows 2.  The seven books and eight movies have been an important part of my life for going on ten years.  The release of the last of the movies marks the end of something extraordinarily special.  And I don't want it to end.  But I'm also extraordinarily excited to see the new movie.  The trailers alone have made me forget to breath.  The email from Fandango telling me that tickets were going on sale for the July 15, 2011 release was therefore met with both a sense of giddy anticipation and deep sorrow.

One of the many great things about the Harry Potter verse is the community that has built up around it.  Seeing the films on opening night is an interactive experience.  Fans dress as their favorite characters, or adorn themselves in the colors of their favorite of the four Hogwarts houses.  There are trivia contests and costume contests and long hours standing in line pass quickly in friendly camaraderie with fellow fans. 

Hogwarts refers to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the main setting for the Harry Potter books and movies. Hogwarts was founded by four best friends; Salazar Slytherin, Godric Gryffindor, Rowena Ravenclaw and Helga Hufflepuff.  Gryffindor valued bravery and courage.  "You might be in Gryffindor where dwell the brave at heart, their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart."  Ravenclaw valued intelligence and learning.  "Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw if you've a ready mind, where those of wit and learning will always find their kind."  Slytherin valued cunning and ambition and those from pure blood wizard families.   "Or perhaps in Slytherin you'll make your real friends, those cunning folks use any means to achieve their ends."  Each of these three founders selected students who met their ideals.  But Helga Hufflepuff valued tolerance, loyalty, fairness and hard work.  "You might belong in Hufflepuff where they are just and loyal, those patient Hufflepuffs are true and unafraid of toil."  And Helga declined to be exclusive, saying of her house, "I'll take the lot and treat them just the same."

In the books and movies and within the Harry Potter fandom, Hufflepuff house is sometimes given short shrift.  Lacking the competitiveness, courage, intellect, and cunning that distinguish the other houses, Hufflepuff often fails to distinguish itself in athletics or academics and therefore never earns enough house points to win the coveted year-end house cup. 

If I were ever fortunate enough to receive my invitation to Hogwarts, I'd be in Hufflepuff for sure.  I lack the courage for Gryffindor, the cunning for Slytherin, or the intelligence for Ravenclaw.  So I'd be sorted into Hufflepuff house by default, the house that will "take the lot."  But I'd be proud to be a Hufflepuff.  The traits valued by Helga Hufflepuff, the traits distinguishing Hufflepuff house, are traits I value and aspire to.  In his tribute to the deceased student Cedric Diggory, headmaster Albus Dumbledore said:  "Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house," Dumbledore continued.  "He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play." 

I don't know why these qualities are not held in as high esteem as those traits valued in the other houses, but they are by me.  So when I line up on the night of July 14, 2011 waiting for the 12:01 a.m. premiere on July 15, 2011, among a sea of scarlet and gold (Gryffindor) with a smattering of blue and bronze (Ravenclaw) and green and silver (Slytherin), I'll be proudly wearing my Hufflepuff house colors of  black and yellow.  For here's to loyalty, hard work, tolerance and fairness.  They may not be as sexy as intelligence and wit, bravery and courage, cunning and ambition; but I value them just the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment